Lexington Family Magazine is hosting its 12th annual Writing Contest and this year’s theme is “If My Pet Could Talk.”
Would your gerbil have an accent? Would your fish tell jokes? Would your dog have some words for the mailman? The possibilities are endless for what your pet might say if given the opportunity.
So grab a pen, a pencil, or your keyboard and start brainstorming.
Who Can Enter:
- Contest is open to all children in public, private or homeschools in grades K-5.
- Entries will be judged in 3 categories: Grades K-1, 2-3 and 4-5. Our judges will choose one boy and one girl in each category as grand prize winners, and two boys and two girls in each category as worthy of honorable mention.
- Word limits on essays: For grades K-1 essays must be 100 words or less; for grades 2-3 essays must be 150 words or less; for grades 4-5 essays must be 200 words or less.
- Essays may be hand-written or typed, mailed or e-mailed. Younger children or children with special needs may narrate their stories to an adult or scribe.
- Our sponsor, Midway College, will be awarding a $250 cash prize to the school with the largest percentage of students participating in the Writing Contest. If more than one school has 100% participation we will do a random drawing to determine a winner. (Homeschools and private schools with fewer than 50 students are not eligible for this prize.)
- Grades K-1 & 2-3 Girls Grand Prize Winners: The 2016 Girl of the Year from American Girl
- Grades 4-5 Girls Grand Prize Winner: Prize package of Breyer Model Horses from Breyerfest
- All Boys Grand Prize Winners: Prizes from the YMCA of Central Kentucky
How to Enter:
- Mail entries to Lexington Family Magazine, 138 E. Reynolds Rd, Suite 201, Lexington, KY 40517
- E-mail entries to LexingtonFamilyEvents@gmail.com
- Deadline is Monday, March 28, 2016. On each entry, please make sure children include their name, gender, teacher’s name, school and grade. Winners will be notified by Wednesday, April 6 and prizes will be presented at the Summer Camps & Activities Fair on Saturday, April 9, at Lexington Christian Academy (450 W. Reynolds Rd.) Winners will be listed in the June issue of Lexington Family Magazine.
For more information please call Katie Saltz at 223-1765.