by Doraine Bailey
Breastfeeding may be simple and natural, but every expecting or new family needs straight information and accurate help to get started.
With books, videos, baby clubs, websites, blogs, and listservs, families have more sources to turn to on breastfeeding, but not all of that information is useful, appropriate or even accurate.
Staff from the Breastfeeding Support Services Program at the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department has put together the following list of breastfeeding resources.
International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) are the health professionals for breastfeeding. They can be found at hospitals, public health departments, and in doctors’ offices.
Most hospitals that deliver babies in Central Kentucky have lactation consultants on staff. To find an IBCLC, contact your hospital, your local health department or the International Lactation Consultant Association (www.ilca.org or 859-288-2348).
Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes
Area hospitals that deliver babies generally offer breastfeeding “how to” classes for pregnant families through their childbirth education programs. Contact your hospital to get a schedule. Prenatal breastfeeding classes are also offered monthly in Lexington at Baby Moon (335-5949), Babies R Us (263-8598), and the Health Department (288-2348).
Breastfeeding Support Groups
Mother-to-mother support groups give expecting or new moms an opportunity to meet other mothers and chat about the challenges and rewards of breastfeeding and parenting.
Meetings are free and open to families throughout Central Kentucky
- La Leche League: Offers two different meetings each month at Baby Moon, 2891 Richmond Road, Lexington. FREE. Info: call Ruth at 559-8488 or Visit www.baby-moon.org/breastfeeding.html for meeting dates and times.
- More info: www.llleus.org/state/Kentucky.html or (800) La-Leche.
- Kentucky Breastfeeding Resource Guide (covers the entire state): www.kybreastfeeding.com/ResourceGuide.html
- Lactation Improvement Network of Kentucky http://breastfeedkentucky.com/
- La Leche League International: www.lalecheleague.org
- American Academy of Pediatrics breastfeeding information: www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/breastfeeding/Pages/default.aspx
- http://mochamoms.org/ (specifically for African-American moms)
- www.secretsofbabybehavior.com (a blog on all kinds of things about how babies work!)
To Your Phone
- www.text4baby.org (free messages texted to you during pregnancy and motherhood)
- The iTunes Store also offers a number of helpful apps on breastfeeding.
Doraine Bailey, MA, IBCLC, is the Breastfeeding Support Services Program Coordinator at the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department. Contact her at (859) 288-2348 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.