As a parent, you can set an example of a balanced lifestyle by being active, eating healthy and showing your children how great you feel.
Now that school is out, perhaps your family can take advantage of the many health and fitness treasures found in our community and seek some of the delicious produce found at the local Farmer’s Markets.
As you start your journey to live healthier, make sure you include fun activities for everyone in the family and include the kids in meal planning.
Making small changes to the way your family eats and exercise can improve your health considerably.
Summer Exercise Tips
- Get 30 to 60 minutes of physical activity every day. Walk early in the evening or late at night to avoid high temperatures.
- Turn your screen off, brush aside your exercise equipment and go outside to exercise.
- Find local nature sanctuaries to explore and get exercise at the same time. I recommend Shaker Village, Raven Run Nature Sanctuary or Salato Wildlife Education Center. These are all kid friendly.
- Walk or ride a bike to do errands.
- Walk around the ball fields while your kids are practicing.
- Take a bicycle ride on Lexington’s Legacy Trail, a 12-mile bike/walking route.
- Summer Nutrition Tips
- Eat vitamin- and mineral-rich foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and low- or nonfat dairy.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Instead of eating out, heat up the grill.
- Eat meals together on the picnic table. Turn off computers, televisions and game systems and enjoy conversation under the stars.
- Don’t skip breakfast.
Breakfast helps active families get the fuel they need to think faster and more clearly. Make a smoothie with local produce you picked up at the Farmer’s Market.
- Keep healthy snacks in handy Ziplock bags that will allow you to quickly grab something to go when you get an opportunity to take a hike or a bike ride.
The key is to exercise, keep choosing healthy foods and stay in touch with your family doctor, so your healthcare provider knows how you are doing.
Until your next office visit, enjoy your summer.