Getting ready for the school year has never been more fun thanks to Countdown to Kindergarten.
For the second summer in a row, incoming Fayette County Public Schools kindergarten students can take part in many free or low-cost events to prepare for their first year of school.
Countdown to Kindergarten is sponsored by Fayette County Public Schools, Child Care Council of Kentucky, PNC Foundation and United Way of the Bluegrass.
Any child registering to start kindergarten in August 2012 at one of Fayette County School’s 34 elementary schools can participate.
These students will receive a letter welcoming them to school and explaining Countdown to Kindergarten.
Students also will receive a coupon for a free T-shirt. The T-shirt can be picked up at any Lexington Public Library branch, and will be the child’s tickets into any of the events throughout the summer.
Events began in June and will continue until the school year begins.
Upcoming activities include:
- ABC’s of Kindergarten at Lexington Public Library Northside Branch. Explore fun-filled activity stations to learn about matching, sorting and letter identification.
- Swimming at Southland, Tates Creek, Woodland and Castlewood pools. Free admission for incoming kindergartners with T-shirt.
- The Lexington Philharmonic at Central Branch Library. Watch performances and do some exciting activities.
- Ocean Life Explorations at the Living Arts and Science Center. Observe live ocean creatures and create marine life art to take home.
- The Great Kindergarten Adventure at YMCA Bar Y Camp. Enjoy a scavenger hunt, stories, songs and more.
- A Day at The Explorium. Enjoy exhibits at the Explorium and special science demonstrations.
- “Going to School” Rally with the Lexington Legends Whitaker Bank Ballpark. Information booths and fun activities will be available for students and families.