A baby shower can quickly turn into a thunderstorm if you feel overwhelmed or unprepared. Here is a collection of tips from real moms, from things they did to things they wish they had done differently.
- Hand out envelopes to your guests to address to themselves and leave in a cute basket before they leave. This makes mailing thank-you notes much easier.
- Have a secretary. When opening gifts ask a friend to sit beside you with a notepad. She can write down a brief description of each gift and who gave it, for thank you notes.
- Hold a “Diaper Raffle.” Guests “buy” raffle tickets by bringing a pack of diapers. Have a nice prize for this event, the diapers you get will be worth it!
- Disposable cameras aren’t just fun for wedding receptions. Have one at each table and ask guests to play photographer.
- Have a potluck. Ask friends to bring an appetizer or dessert to cut down on the cost and work for you. Even your culinary-challenged friends can bring drinks, or paper plates and cups.
- Stick to foods that are easy to snack on while you mingle.
- Cupcakes instead of one big cake are easier to eat and decorate. “Centerpieces” can be made from toothpicks and stickers, squishy candies, scrapbooking decorations, or plenty of items found at a dollar store.
- If you are doing gifts for game winners, have a few extra on hand in case of a tie.
- Consider games where you can play throughout the shower instead of declaring a “Game Time” and getting everyone’s attention.
- Name tags! Especially if you have a demographically diverse guest list.
- Have a cute notebook circulating for guests to write a note to the baby. When your baby is older you can give her the book to see how loved she was before she was even born!
Save and print our baby shower coupon below if you are looking for an inexpensive, unique shower gift! You can fill in your name and what gift you are giving the new mom- a night of babysitting, a home cooked meal, a day of house cleaning, or maybe five loads of laundry. Any new mom will appreciate the help of her friends.