Holiday Warning: Keep Dogs Away From Table Scraps

By Dr. Scott L. Nieves

Wonderful birds will be roasted, hams baked to perfection and the aroma of pie will beckon the inner beast to rise from a slumber and feast!

Feast and feast well. Enjoy the meals and family time, but remember the four-legged “Hoovers” that are waiting for the right time to assist you in “putting away” the leftovers.

Although we all are thankful for help with cleaning up, the result of our pets getting into or being fed our leftovers can be disastrous.

Small amounts of most table foods will likely not affect our pets.

Some foods (fatty trim-mings, bones, salty meats) in any amount tend to cause some undesired and sometimes severe outcomes in our pets.

Soon after the meal is finished, be cautious and take the time to put food in a safe location or container, secure from your pets reach.

The placement of food in the garbage needs to be done with the intent to keep an inquisitive nose from easily investigating.

If you suspect your pet is having problems as a result of getting into leftovers, watch for these signs:

  • Lack of or decreased appetite
  • Excessive salivation
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal distention
  • Diarrhea


If any of these symptoms are present, call your veterinarian immediately.

Conditions such as pancreatitis and foreign body ingestion/obstruction (bones, toys…) can be fatal.

But symptoms can be treated more successfully if the problem is addressed quickly.

Enjoy the holidays and make sure everyone is safe — even your four-legged friend.

Dr. Scott L. Nieves, DVM, is a veterinarian at Beaumont Veterinary Centre. Info: 224-2287.